Western Slope Anglers Fishing Forum
Sportsmans Warehouse
Dynamic Lures

Dynamic Lures

Go Back   Western Slope Anglers Fishing Forum > Fishing Discussions > Fishing
Register FAQForum Rules Members List Calendar Arcade Extras Links Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fishing General fishing topics. Anything about fishing can be posted here.

Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying Western Slope Anglers Fishing Forum but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:12 PM
Elite Angler

pathway has a reputation beyond reputepathway has a reputation beyond reputepathway has a reputation beyond reputepathway has a reputation beyond reputepathway has a reputation beyond reputepathway has a reputation beyond reputepathway has a reputation beyond reputepathway has a reputation beyond reputepathway has a reputation beyond reputepathway has a reputation beyond reputepathway has a reputation beyond repute
No restictions on take at Harvey Gap

Fish salvage begins at Harvey Gap Reservoir, Sept. 1; bag, possession and size limits removed for all fish species

SILT, Colo. - Colorado Parks and Wildlife has authorized an emergency fish salvage atHarvey Gap Reservoir, located north of Silt, effective Sept. 1.

Minimum size, bag, and possession limits have been removed for all species in the reservoir including tiger muskie, northern pike, channel catfish, black crappie, trout, yellow perch, bluegill, largemouth and smallmouth bass. On Colorado's Western Slope, there are no bag limits for northern pike and smallmouth bass in most bodies of water, unless otherwise posted.

All other fishing regulations are in effect and will be enforced. Anglers 16 and older must have a valid fishing license. Overnight fishing is allowed to encourage the take of channel catfish. CPW officials advise anglers that the shoreline is extremely muddy and to be cautious when approaching the water. Fishing from the dam is a good option to avoid these muddy conditions.

The Silt Water Conservancy District will lower water levels in Harvey Gap Reservoir this fall to allow the inspection of the damís outlet structure. Although lowering operations have not officially begun, the water level has dropped considerably in the last few weeks.

Silt Water originally planned the outlet inspection during fall of 2016; however, due to the unexpected collapse of nearby County Road 237, the District postponed operations until this year.

According to the District, the reservoir will remain mostly empty until the dam is thoroughly inspected and any maintenance issues are addressed. Once the reservoir is permanently refilled, Colorado Parks and Wildlife will restock the popular fishery with approved species; however, when that will occur is undetermined.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:07 PM
Elite Angler

bharper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathway View Post
Fish salvage begins at Harvey Gap Reservoir, Sept. 1; bag, possession and size limits removed for all fish species

SILT, Colo. - Colorado Parks and Wildlife has authorized an emergency fish salvage atHarvey Gap Reservoir, located north of Silt, effective Sept. 1.

Minimum size, bag, and possession limits have been removed for all species in the reservoir including tiger muskie, northern pike, channel catfish, black crappie, trout, yellow perch, bluegill, largemouth and smallmouth bass. On Colorado's Western Slope, there are no bag limits for northern pike and smallmouth bass in most bodies of water, unless otherwise posted.

All other fishing regulations are in effect and will be enforced. Anglers 16 and older must have a valid fishing license. Overnight fishing is allowed to encourage the take of channel catfish. CPW officials advise anglers that the shoreline is extremely muddy and to be cautious when approaching the water. Fishing from the dam is a good option to avoid these muddy conditions.

The Silt Water Conservancy District will lower water levels in Harvey Gap Reservoir this fall to allow the inspection of the damís outlet structure. Although lowering operations have not officially begun, the water level has dropped considerably in the last few weeks.

Silt Water originally planned the outlet inspection during fall of 2016; however, due to the unexpected collapse of nearby County Road 237, the District postponed operations until this year.

According to the District, the reservoir will remain mostly empty until the dam is thoroughly inspected and any maintenance issues are addressed. Once the reservoir is permanently refilled, Colorado Parks and Wildlife will restock the popular fishery with approved species; however, when that will occur is undetermined.
I was just thinking the other day about when they were going to start this process? I just bought a 4 pack of swimbaits just four Harvey! Have you been to Harvey lately? Is the water way down already? Thx for posting this!
Old 08-31-2017, 07:40 PM
Elite Angler

pathway has a reputation beyond reputepathway has a reputation beyond reputepathway has a reputation beyond reputepathway has a reputation beyond reputepathway has a reputation beyond reputepathway has a reputation beyond reputepathway has a reputation beyond reputepathway has a reputation beyond reputepathway has a reputation beyond reputepathway has a reputation beyond reputepathway has a reputation beyond repute
I have not been to Harvey this year but I would guess the water is down to the base of the boat ramp. The water may be a little warm to find pike from shore.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:21 PM
Elite Angler

bharper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathway View Post
I have not been to Harvey this year but I would guess the water is down to the base of the boat ramp. The water may be a little warm to find pike from shore.
Yeah I usually go there towards the end of September.I just don't want to miss a last chance of getting another big one.I have a heavy rod and I can throw one of the swimbaits(2+ounces)quite a ways out there then let it sink all the way to the bottom before slow reeling it in.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:28 AM
Elite Angler

I caught a pike at Rifle a couple of weeks ago in shallow water. It was a 20 incher. The big girls tend to stay deeper longer. We need some cooler weather to drop the water temp. We caught larger pike last summer at Rifle in 20 to 25 fow on the dam, so should be able to reach that depth at Harvey.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:39 PM
Elite Angler

castingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond repute
Well maybe a fish fry is in order