Western Slope Anglers Fishing Forum
Sportsmans Warehouse
Dynamic Lures

Dynamic Lures

Go Back   Western Slope Anglers Fishing Forum > Fishing Discussions > Fishing > All about the Fish
Register FAQForum Rules Members List Calendar Arcade Extras Links Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

All about the Fish Got questions regarding specific fish? Their habits and how to catch them?

Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying Western Slope Anglers Fishing Forum but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:36 PM
Elite Angler

castingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond repute
Pond Fishing

Hit up a local pond with Bbass on Tuesday evening, he caught one and I got skunked. Learned some stuff while standing on that bank and made some changes the next day. Caught 5 bass pretty fast. Was a lot of fun and caught a fish on a lure I hadn't caught one on before. Jerkbaits are definitely working. Plastics are working as well, just need to downsize a bit and slow down. Ponds around town are opened up a bit. Be sure to give them a reason to bite. If you're working your bait slow for a ways and are pretty sure you are in a spot with fish give it a good rip and let off they should grab it in a few seconds if they were following.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:34 PM
Journeyman Angler

Fly Flicker is a glorious beacon of lightFly Flicker is a glorious beacon of lightFly Flicker is a glorious beacon of lightFly Flicker is a glorious beacon of lightFly Flicker is a glorious beacon of lightFly Flicker is a glorious beacon of light
Nice!!!

Sounds like some solid advice.

Got pics?
Old 02-02-2018, 12:09 AM
Elite Angler

castingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Flicker View Post
Nice!!!

Got pics?
Yeah I took some pics. I still haven't setup an account to post pics with yet.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:20 AM
Elite Angler

Quote:
Nice!!!

Got pics?
My pics would look funny too. All of that scribbling over the baits. Pond fishing pressure has become insane in the past 3 years or so. People that used to complain on here about it before are probably giving up on the activity. Weekend warriors with all of the latest baits, phone apps and youtube channels pretty well pack the ponds and quickly send a note to 500 other anglers as soon as they catch a fish and sometimes it shows the exact location.

I stood here and casted at that tumbleweed right there with a 3/8 oz pepper jigs pro series jig in sticky green with a green pumpkin craw trailer and so on. Stiff arm the fish and a 2 pound bass goes 4 pounds in a jiffy. Then that Saturday 40 guys make the same cast Pretty much have to take pics of the fish in the water and hope nobody recognizes a tumbleweed.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:36 PM
Elite Angler

bharper is on a distinguished road
Nice job Noah! I’ve been experiencing the same with the trout on the River! I’ve caught most of the nicer fish on Hair Jigs while the Jerkbaits aren’t as effective.We’ve been downsizing on smaller jerkbaits and just slowly cranking them in and getting bit.It works your patience!! I’ve been chomping at the bit for some (Smallies especially) bass fishing! We need to hit a few spots this Spring and I’m not afraid to show you a few spots! LOL!

Last edited by bharper; 02-05-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:30 PM
Elite Angler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharper View Post
Nice job Noah! Iíve been experiencing the same with the trout on the River! Iíve caught most of the nicer fish on Hair Jigs while the Jerkbaits arenít as effective.Weíve been downsizing on smaller jerkbaits and just slowly cranking them in slowly and getting bit.It works your patience!! Iíve been chomping at the bit for some (Smallies especially) bass fishing! We need to hit a few spots this Spring and Iím not afraid to show you a few spots! LOL!
I'll show you some spots as well. I'll probably be back to work before spring hits so we'll need to get that pre spawn late winter bite in. It's second favorite to topwater fishing. Get more bigger average fish on the topwater but catch my biggest fish in winter.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:48 PM
Elite Angler

bharper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by castingdonkey View Post
I'll show you some spots as well. I'll probably be back to work before spring hits so we'll need to get that pre spawn late winter bite in. It's second favorite to topwater fishing. Get more bigger average fish on the topwater but catch my biggest fish in winter.
Definitely,I got my biggest fish on topwater 2017 late Spring.Would love to get one of those you and BBass got a few yrs ago.Because of your schedule you need to let me know when you got free time! I won’t be around Feb 19-22

Last edited by bharper; 02-05-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:33 AM
Journeyman Angler

Fly Flicker is a glorious beacon of lightFly Flicker is a glorious beacon of lightFly Flicker is a glorious beacon of lightFly Flicker is a glorious beacon of lightFly Flicker is a glorious beacon of lightFly Flicker is a glorious beacon of light
I get ya about the pictures and "hot spotting"...

One can not be too careful.

It is sad to see what one can do to a fishery just by posting name(s) and pics of good fish.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:33 AM
Elite Angler

Quote:
I get ya about the pictures and "hot spotting"...

One can not be too careful.

It is sad to see what one can do to a fishery just by posting name(s) and pics of good fish.
Yup and I'm guilty of sharing too much info. I can still get out and whack a decent amount of bass in a day, but it's just nothing like it used to be back in 2013 and 2014. Those years were wild for big fish on a regular basis. Catching 10 fish over 2 pounds in a day of fishing wasn't a crazy concept like it is for the most part these days. Still caught some big ones last year so they're still in there just don't get first crack at the rest of the hot fish waiting to ambush a bait.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:37 AM
Elite Angler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharper View Post
Definitely,I got my biggest fish on the Whopper last late Spring.Would love to get one of those you and BBass got a few yrs ago.Because of your schedule you need to let me know when you got free time! I wonít be around Feb 19-22
That fishing trip was so crazy, the amount of people flocking to mack mesa with whopper ploppers frothing up the surface just killed that bite. We were the first ones probably to ever throw that bait there and the timing was just right. Now the big fish have seen it and see it day in and day out. Wish I had taken Bbass's advice earlier that day and tied that bait on before we were so far around the lake.