Western Slope Anglers Fishing Forum
Sportsmans Warehouse
Dynamic Lures

Dynamic Lures

Go Back   Western Slope Anglers Fishing Forum > Fishing Discussions > Fishing > Fish Pics
Register FAQForum Rules Members List Calendar Arcade Extras Links Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fish Pics Let us see what you caught.

Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying Western Slope Anglers Fishing Forum but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:53 PM
Journeyman Angler

Fly Flicker is a glorious beacon of lightFly Flicker is a glorious beacon of lightFly Flicker is a glorious beacon of lightFly Flicker is a glorious beacon of lightFly Flicker is a glorious beacon of lightFly Flicker is a glorious beacon of light
Admittedly it doesn't happen alot or for very long but it has pushed 10000 in the last few yrs...

https://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/co/n...ate=2017-05-17

projections from early April suggest it will be over 6000 but could be higher if I read it correctly.

It depends on flows from the Muddy (aka N fork of the Gunny) and other tributaries.

A friend of a friend got the following info and passed it on to me...

The April 1st forecast for the April July unregulated inflow volume to Blue Mesa Reservoir is 930,000 acre-feet. This is 138% of the 30 year average. Snowpack in the Upper Gunnison Basin is currently 147% of average. Blue Mesa Reservoir current content is 582,000 acre-feet which is 70% of full. Current elevation is 7490.1 ft. Maximum content at Blue Mesa Reservoir is 829,500 acre-feet at an elevation of 7519.4 ft.

Black Canyon Water Right
The peak flow and shoulder flow components of the Black Canyon Water Right will be determined by the May 1 forecast of the April July unregulated inflow volume to Blue Mesa Reservoir. If the May 1 forecast is equal to the current forecast of 930,000 acre-feet of runoff volume, the peak flow target will be equal to 6,575 cfs for a duration of 24 hours. The shoulder flow target will be 921 cfs, for the period between May 1 and July 25. The point of measurement of flows to satisfy the Black Canyon Water Right is the Gunnison River below Gunnison Tunnel streamgage at the upstream boundary of Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park.

Aspinall Unit Operations ROD
Pursuant to the Aspinall Unit Operations Record of Decision (ROD), the peak flow and duration flow targets in the lower Gunnison River, as measured at the Whitewater gage, will be determined by the forecast of the April July unregulated inflow volume to Blue Mesa Reservoir and the hydrologic year type. At the time of the spring operation, if the forecast is equal to the current forecast of 930,000 acre-feet of runoff volume, the hydrologic year type will be set as Moderately Wet. Under a Moderately Wet year the peak flow target will be 14,350 cfs and the duration target at this flow will be 10 days. The duration target for the half bankfull flow of 8,070 cfs will be 40 days.

Projected Spring Operations
During spring operations, releases from the Aspinall Unit will be made in an attempt to match the peak flow of the North Fork of the Gunnison River to maximize the potential of meeting the desired peak at the Whitewater gage, while simultaneously meeting the Black Canyon Water Right peak flow amount. The magnitude of release necessary to meet the desired peak at the Whitewater gage will be dependent on the flow contribution from the North Fork of the Gunnison River and other tributaries downstream from the Aspinall Unit. Current projections for spring peak operations show that flows in the Gunnison River through the Black Canyon could be over 8,500 cfs for 10 days in order to achieve the desired peak flow and duration at Whitewater. If actual flows on the North Fork of the Gunnison River are less than currently projected, flows through the Black Canyon could be even higher. With this runoff forecast and corresponding downstream targets, Blue Mesa Reservoir is currently projected to fill to an elevation of around 7518 feet with an approximate peak content of 816,000 acre-feet.

Downstream flow targets and the projected spring operations to meet them will change with revisions to the forecast and are highly dependent on tributary flows throughout the Gunnison Basin.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:55 PM
Journeyman Angler

Fly Flicker is a glorious beacon of lightFly Flicker is a glorious beacon of lightFly Flicker is a glorious beacon of lightFly Flicker is a glorious beacon of lightFly Flicker is a glorious beacon of lightFly Flicker is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharper View Post
Hope so! Well,I guess I can get my ass over to the Pan and Taylor,which I always find an excuse for not going!

Gotta love them hogs from both them rivers!!!

And flows on those river s are getting where i like em!!

But that will soon change
Old 05-17-2017, 05:17 PM
Elite Angler

bharper is on a distinguished road
What about below Blue Mesa along Pine Creek Trail does that stay pretty clear? I might give that a try? Thx for the info!!
Old 05-18-2017, 06:53 AM
Journeyman Angler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Flicker View Post
Gotta love them hogs from both them rivers!!!

And flows on those river s are getting where i like em!!

But that will soon change
Bh,

I have yet to fish down there. it is on my list to do..

I would think it is clear but that is just a guess.

I think part of the reason the portal gets off color is the Cimarron just a guess though.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:40 AM
Elite Angler

Yeah I've been down below Morrow Point Dam and the Cimarron is the main cause.I fished below Blue Mesa Dam once in mid-summer and seen a medium sized bear up close.My sister's ex-boyfriend landed 2 decent bows that day.The hike back up the stairs is a little rough but not real bad!

Last edited by bharper; 05-18-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:22 AM
Journeyman Angler

Flows on the Gunny ABOVE the roller dam are above 10000cfs. Spillway is spilling!!

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/co/nwis/u...cd=00065,00060

* note these numbers are below the tunnel/roller dam.
You have to add the south canal and abc lateral canal to get what is releasing from Crystal.

If you have not seen the flows this high it is impressive.

Also worth noting is the spillway at MORROW POINT is dumping as well. Pretty cool to see if you have not seen it before.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Morr...LQFQv6SFtIUtM:

I have only seen both of these spill 2-3 times and I still get a kick out of checking them out... Both have what I think are unusual spillways. I will prolly go back and check Morrow cuz flows are expected to go up, which will open the "windows" a lil mo.

Last edited by Fly Flicker; 05-23-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:57 AM
Elite Angler

Wow,that's impressive! I need to go to Pine Crest Trail below Blue Mesa if you're interested let me know?
Old 05-23-2017, 03:11 PM
Elite Angler

castingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond reputecastingdonkey has a reputation beyond repute
That's cool my kids would love that.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:24 PM
Journeyman Angler

i am sure Blue Mesa is dumping a bunchof water as well....don't know about any "spillway" there?? Anyone on here know?

The research I have done seems that the water releases through tubes on the bottom with no spillway, per say.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:29 PM
Journeyman Angler

Just to be clear,

on my earlier post that linked a pic that is Morrow Point not Crystal....i noticed in the caption next to the pic it mentioned Crystal so I thought that might me confusing.